If you have a craving for mashed potatoes but don’t want all of the starch that goes with it, then you need to try this super easy Cheesy Cauliflower Mash! It is similar to the Keto Cauliflower Bake that I posted about, however it is actually completely different. Topped at the end with freshly made bacon bits and chopped green onions, this lovely baked side dish looks exactly like someone scooped out a loaded baked potato and put it in a Pyrex dish. I am all in with the cauliflower trend, as it takes on whatever flavors that you are cooking with. It’s lighter in density to mashed potatoes, yet the flavors are quite similar. I would put money on the fact that your mashed potato lover, staring at you from the other end of the table when they realize you have duped them, will ask you to make this time and again.
The shredded, extra sharp cheddar and parmesan that sits on top of this mash helps to add a lovely golden tone. Bacon bits and chopped green onions finish the deal before serving. I made this again and added huge chunks of blue cheese on top before baking and it was almost one of the best things I’ve ever tasted.
Once the cauliflower florets have softened a bit, add some white wine and broth, along with some herbs, and let it finish softening. I like to add any Italian seasoning such as Oregano or Basil.
I dare you to not grab tiny handfuls of this while you are preparing this. Double dare! My favorite cheddar is extra sharp white cheddar, however you can use whatever type of cheddar you prefer.
Then it all gets scooped and poured into a blender for the mashing. If there is too much liquid sitting in the pan, I would limit the amount you add to the blender at this stage. No one wants a runny, soupy mash.
Pour and scoop the mash into a 9 x 13 inch glass pan and top with more shredded cheese before baking. The top of this browns up slightly. Don’t forget to top with bacon bits and green onions!
Song for the Prep: Mashed Potato Time by Dee Dee Sharp
OMG look at these groovy dancers! You’ll not only love my fake mashed potatoes, but I am also willing to bet that you are going to try this dance out while waiting for it to come out of the oven! You can burn it off before you eat …haha! Have FUN in the kitchen ALWAYS!
Loaded Cheesy Cauliflower Mash
- December 7, 2021
- 45 min
- Print this
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 32 oz cauliflower
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 C chicken broth (or veggie)
- 1/2 C white wine
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz sour cream
- 1 1/2 C white cheddar cheese, shredded (1/2 C on top)
- 3/4 C Parmensan cheese, shredded (1/2 C on top)
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Step 2
- Cook the bacon. Set aside to cool.
- Step 3
- In a large pot, sauté onion for 3-4 minutes. Add cauliflower florets and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add white wine, stock, and garlic and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
- Step 4
- Transfer cauliflower to a blender, omitting any excess liquid left in the pan. Add cream cheese, sour cream, 1 C of the shredded white cheddar, 1/4 C shredded Parmesan, and blend until smooth.
- Step 5
- Pour and scoop cauliflower mixture into a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish. Top with remaining 1/2 C shredded white cheddar and 1/2 C shredded Parmesan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until browned on top, but not burnt. Top with bacon bits and chopped scallions. Serve.