This rich and Creamy Tuscan Chicken and Mushrooms is so comforting and tasty. The chicken finishes cooking in this delicious sun-dried tomato sauce with mushrooms, spinach, and Parmesigiano-Reggiano. Such a hearty dish that would be great with bread for dipping. Did I mention garlic? The sauce is the key to this recipe and what makes it so special. And you will have extra sauce so plan to do some dipping, or even searing more meat to use for the leftovers. Yes I said leftovers! I’m planning on making some low-carb dinner rolls tonight~! Stay tuned for that recipe…This is one of those recipes that keeps on giving, and allows for a few different meal options. I know you are busy, so let’s do this!
Oh my god this is one of the best things I’ve made in awhile. The creamy sauce with sun dried tomatoes with herbed, sautéed mushrooms is so dang good. Did I mention that there is also a bunch of Parmesan in here too? You can see how it just melted on top of the chicken. This recipe just has all of these winning combinations to make it incredibly flavorful. Pictured above with dinner rolls made with Fathead dough! So this meal is entirely keto!
Start by caramelizing the onion in some fresh herbs and lot of EVOO! Simmer these for about 20 minutes at least before you add the tomatoes.
You know it! If you have fresh tomatoes, use them. If you don’t, you can substitute a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes. I’ve prepared this both ways and both turn out fantastic.
Here’s my little secret find from Aldi…sun-dried tomato pesto called Pesto Rosso! Can you believe this even exists? If you can’t find this at the grocery store here is a great recipe to make your own Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto, or you can order this handy jar made by Stonewall Kitchen. Stonewall…weird name for a company. Have you ever been stonewalled? Ew. Anyway, you will still need to add a bit of tomato paste to this to help thicken it up. When it looks like it is ready, you add fresh spinach until it wilts, the Parmigiano-Reggiano, and finally the sautéed mushrooms.
While the tomato sauce is saucing, slowly sautéed your mushrooms in EVOO, herbs, and some butter. I like to start them with only a bit of butter, then once the liquid has drained out of them a bit, add the herbs and more butter. I can NOT resist sneaking a bunch of these out of the pan while they are almost done! So buy the big box.
Once you remove the mushrooms from your cast iron skillet, add more EVOO and drop the chicken breasts in there once it starts to sizzle. Sear these on each side for about 4-5 minutes. They will finish cooking in the tomato sauce until they reach 165 degrees. The wait is hard!
Song for the Prep: Just Like Heaven by Dinosaur Jr (original by The Cure)
I just watched the new documentary about this iconic band…ok I watched it at least 5 times in the 48 hours that I had to enjoy it. When I found out that this band existed my ears fell in love. It’s insane that I have all of these EPs and albums by them on CD….and not on VINYL! Anyway, if you want to see the documentary and you happen to reside in MN or TX here is a link to view Freakscene: The Story of Dinosaur Jr. Otherwise perhaps it will be shown at an independent theater in your area…and someday it will be available to stream so I can watch it 5 more times! This film festival, Sound Unseen, happens in Minnesota and is put on by a guy I know…lucky us to have such a swell, local film festival!
Creamy Tuscan Chicken and Mushrooms
- November 21, 2021
- 45 min
- Print this
- 4 split chicken breasts (If using 2 you will have leftover sauce)
- 2 T EVOO, split in half
- 4 tomatoes, chopped OR 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 C red wine
- 2 1/2 C baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 2T butter
- 3 C fresh spinach
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T plus 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 T plus 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 T sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- 1/2 C Parmesan cheese, grated plus more - garnish
- 2 T fresh parsley, chopped - garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1
- Heat 1 T olive oil in non-stick pan and then add onions with 1T each basil and oregano. Let simmer until they are translucent. Then add tomatoes (or stewed tomatoes), garlic and 1T each basil and oregano. Cook on medium low heat.
- Step 2
- Sauté mushrooms in a cast iron pan, over medium high heat, adding 1T butter at the beginning along with 1 tsp each basil and oregano, and then the remaining butter as they cook. Salt and pepper just as they start to darken. Remove from pan.
- Step 3
- Meanwhile, salt and pepper the chicken breasts and place in heated cast iron pan adding 1T olive oil. Sauté chicken on each side for about 4 minutes.
- Step 4
- When the tomatoes look softened, add sun-dried tomato paste and if needed a bit of regular tomato paste to thicken the sauce. Add the red wine and heavy cream, simmer for a few minutes and then add the spinach. Once spinach is wilted add parmesan and stir for a minute. Then return the mushrooms to the pan, along with the seared chicken breasts and cook until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Step 5
- Serve with dinner rolls (use Fathead dough for keto or a low carb option) and top with more Parmesan and parsley.