My Keto Eggplant Summer Squash Lasagna is something I could eat every day, ooooh yeah cheesy, gooey veggies with my homemade tomato sauce and a bit of my Basil Pesto Gusto makes for an intense vegetarian meal. So delicious with fresh vegetables from the farmer’s market this time too! And I’ll tell ya…I don’t miss carbs one bit. Not with the amount of flavor and texture of veggies like eggplant and yellow squash. And there is not nearly as much guilt involved with this kind of fake lasagna. If you have big eaters at your table, this would be a great accompaniment to whatever protein you like, and/or serve it up with some lovely bread to soak up all of the sauce.
I wish I could tell you how good this tasted! And you don’t feel guilty having a second piece!!
Wash, peel the eggplant, slice lengthwise into 1/4-3/8″ slices, and then salt these watery veggies and let them sit on the counter for at least a half hour, and better even to wait an hour!
Look at the water that is oozing out of these babies! Then just wash them off and pat dry with a towel. If you are short on time you can blast these in the oven, on a sheet pan for 12 minutes at 400 degrees F to rid the liquid faster than this technique.
The first layer in the 9×13″ Pyrex is tomato sauce, preferably homemade. If you don’t have homemade available then use a high quality, thick sauce like Vodka Sauce. Marinara might be too watery. You don’t want to add any liquid to this as the squash will still ooze.
Then I add a layer of eggplant topped with a smear of pesto. Who needs noodles, right?
Keep layering with mozzerella, Parmesan, Pecorino Romano and all the cheese you can find with each layer of summer squash that goes on top of the eggplant. I had one row of eggplant on the bottom, and 2 rows of summer squash on top. Fit perfectly. I threw a few Sungold tomatoes from my garden in here too but I wouldn’t recommend as they just add water. Silly me but they taste so good!
When you are done layering just add some more tomato sauce with shaved cheese on top and pop it in the oven, covered, for about 40 minutes.
Ooooh this is what it will look like straight out of the oven. If you have a turkey baster you can use that to remove a bit of any excess liquid. It’ll be bubbling and very hot so be careful. Then top with more cheese and put this back in the oven, uncovered, for 10 more minutes. YUM!
Song for the Prep: Gooey by Glass Animals
This song even sounds gooey…almost as ooey gooey as this cheesy vegetarian lasagna!
Keto Eggplant Summer Squash Lasagna
- September 9, 2021
- 1 hr 30 min
- Print this
- 1 large eggplant
- 8 medium summer squash (or zucchini)
- 24 oz tomato sauce (Keto if you like)
- 4 T pesto (or more if you like)
- 8 oz mozzarella
- 4 oz Pecorino Romano
- 2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Step 2
- Wash and peel eggplant, then slice eggplant and summer squash into 1/2-3/8″ pieces lengthwise
- Step 3
- Salt and let rest for up to an hour to sweat out any bitterness or excess water. Another option is to just bake these on a sheet pan for 12 minutes.
- Step 4
- Layer( in a 9 x 13″ baking dish): sauce, a row of eggplant, pesto smeared on eggplant, mozzarella, and more sauce.
- Step 5
- Second layer: summer squash, pesto smeared on summer squash, mozzarella, and more sauce. Repeat this layer and top with 1/2 pecorino and parmesan.
- Step 6
- Bake for 40 minutes, covered in foil.
- Step 7
- Remove from oven, add the remaining grated cheese and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Step 8
- It’s ok if there is a bit of liquid…just soak it up with bread or spoon it out and drink it like soup!