Oooh I think this is my favorite tomato recipe so far this crazy tomato season, and if you have some heirloom tomatoes march right over to your favorite Greek grocer and pick up some fancy feta with Kalamata olives so you can make this fantastic flavor wow salad! Mint and basil, combined with the thinly sliced red onion…oh you know I’ve been living off this one for a few days already! The simplest of dressings coat this so gently: good quality white wine vinegar and olive oil. That’s it! The rest of the flavors of the vegetables with the feta don’t require anything else! It’s also nice to try some fancy sea salt like the Maldon brand!
If you are into gardening or hitting up your local farmer’s market this time of year you likely are seeing a TON of tomatoes, EVERYWHERE! I can’t keep up with the tomatoes in my garden, personally, and have been whipping up tons of pasta sauce and curries for the freezer. But when these juicy beauties are in season you gotta taste that flesh when they’re super fresh!
These flavors are insane! I could eat this every day…did I say that already? August is such a perfect month for eating righteously. This salad takes minutes to prepare and is best served right after gently mixing, at room temperature. But I did have some leftovers today, straight out of the fridge, and it is now GONE! Yum!!
Song for the Prep: Summer Wind by Frank Sinatra
So true! Listen to this swanky number while you sneak bites of everything you are cutting up, making this wonderful tomato jubilee!
Heirloom Tomato Feta Salad
- August 16, 2021
- 15 min
- Print this
- 2 heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2 C Kalamata olives, cut into 3 pieces each
- 1/2 small red onion, julienned
- 1 1/2 C feta, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 T freshly chopped basil
- 2 T freshly chopped mint
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 T white wine vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Step 1
- Chop tomatoes into bite sized pieces. Place in bowl and add everything except the feta. Stir to combine. Fold in the feta very gently so it doesn’t crumble too much. Serve immediately, at room temperature. This is also good leftover so don’t throw it away!