Oh these little ditties are such fun, salty, creamy appetizers that are so easy to prepare. You could even serve them with warmed pasta sauce, as they are their own type of mozzarella stick that is just shaped like a cracker with a pocket in the middle instead! I made these as an appetizer, with wine of course, before dinner. They were filling enough to satisfy before going out to dinner. Plus they are just so different from anything I’ve made before. These run high on the keto meter as well! I love a good low-carb, keto snack any day! If you want to use pasta sauce but are in ketosis and want to stay there, I highly recommend Yo Mama’s Marinara sauce, free from sugar, gluten, and made with non-GMO tomatoes!
I didn’t serve these with warmed pasta sauce, but that would be a great idea. It wouldn’t be as much of a finger food then.
First you heat the mozzarella slices on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper (this particular brand wins for saving the earth!) for about 4 minutes, so that they become pliable. Have the spinach and ricotta mixture ready when they come out so you can create the pockets with the cheese. Oooh they are so good!
Place a heaping spoonful of 1/6 of the spinach mixture onto the lower half of the cheese, looking at it on the diagonal. Then fold over, in half on the diagonal, and then fold the ends of the corners in towards each other to form a seal around the spinach mixture. Use a spatula to get the cheese up off the parchment paper.
I made these in a hurry so don’t feel like you have to make these perfect looking at this stage. After they have baked and melted, they will stay in tact. Just seal the edges by pressing the mozzarella like you are creating a pie crust.
This is what they look like straight out of the oven. Let them cool for 5 minutes or so because they will be HOT.
Song for the Prep: On Melancholy Hill by Gorillaz
This is one of my favorite songs by this all-star band! All of the AOL Sessions with Gorillaz are SO great, and they are recorded live. Warm fuzzies inside with the music and the appetizers!
Spinach and Ricotta Mozzarella Crisps
- May 20, 2021
- 25 min
- 264 Cals/Serving
- Print this
- 3/4 oz spinach, chopped into bits
- 5 T Ricotta cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 6 slices Mozzarella cheese
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Step 2
- Mix spinach, ricotta, and spices in a bowl.
- Step 3
- Place mozzarella slices on parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Bake for 4 minutes, or until pliable. Drop 1/6 of the cheese and spinach mixture onto the bottom corner, looking at the cheese on the diagonal. Fold over, on the diagonal, and then fold the corners on each side inward. Press down as to make a seal.
- Step 4
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the edges and tops of the mozzarella is browned a bit and crispy. If you keep them in the oven longer, they will become more crispy but be careful that the spinach mixture doesn’t start oozing out.
- Step 5
- Let cool for 5 minutes and serve plain or with pasta sauce.