Nothing like a quick, one-pan Veggie Skillet with Italian Pork Sausage to stack up your nutritious meal-time cravings. So many flavors and colors! I served this as a side-dish and it added to the heartiness of the meal, but it can definitely be a standalone meal. Tricolor carrots and mini-peppers with broccoli and sliced Campari tomatoes brighten up the pan, but be careful not to overcook. I once worked in a healthy restaurant in Seattle and everyone who worked there helped to prep, cook, serve, and do the dishes. I learned so much about how to properly cook veggies – and the secret is to cook the heartiest ones first. Makes perfect sense. Also important to have on hand is extra virgin, cold pressed olive oil from ITALY, not 3 different countries. I have adopted these principles into my cooking style and never looked back.
Pre-cook the Italian Sausages in a cast iron skillet first, then remove from the pan and slice them in half. Cut each half into bite-size pieces. This is where I start snacking….
Toss them back into the pan and add the carrots. The grease from the sausages should be enough to coat them, otherwise add a bit of extra virgin olive oil. I cooked these for about 5 minutes.
Finally, add the broccoli, tricolor sliced peppers, and tomatoes. Yes I added tomatoes to my cast iron skillet and had to re-season it. It was worth it, however the tomatoes can be added lastly in your serving dish, or cook the veggies separately in a non-stick frying pan. (This one, btw, is dishwasher safe!)
Veggie Skillet with Italian Sausage
- April 12, 2021
- 30 min
- Print this
- 2-4 Italian Pork Sausages
- 4-5 tricolor carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped into florets
- 2 cups sliced mini, tricolor peppers
- 1 cup quartered and sliced Campari tomatoes (or halved plum or cherry)
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2 T dried basil
- 1 T dried oregano
- Shaved parmesan (optional topping)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1
- Precook the Italian sausages in a cast iron pan (non-stick works too), over medium heat. Turn every 3-4 minutes. Remove from the pan and slice in half, then slice thinly in bite-sized pieces.
- Step 2
- Add carrots to the pan with sliced garlic and herbs, in the same juices from the sausages, and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Then add the sausages back to the pan. Salt and pepper as you go.
- Step 3
- Add the peppers and broccoli to the pan and cook for 3 minutes. Add a bit of extra virgin olive oil if it looks dry.
- Step 4
- Finally add the tomatoes in (if using a cast iron pan add these to your serving bowl so you don’t have to re-season the pan like I did).
- Step 5
- Serve hot with optional shaved parmesan on top.
Song for the Prep: You’re My Best Friend by (the) Melvins (off of the Everybody Loves Sausages album)
The absolute sweetest Melvins cover you’ll ever hear. Ever. It’s a song by Queen if you didn’t know. I bought this CD in a pretty little pink, handmade and handprinted CD sleeve when I saw them play at the now-defunct Grumpy’s Bar in downtown Minneapolis. RIP favorite bar!!