If you are looking for a hearty salad with tons of deep hues, lots of vitamins, and an opportunity to make a fun mess in your kitchen, then you should get on it with the Warm Spiraled Beet and Sweet Potato recipe. It’s not only fun to make, but fun to eat. With the goat cheese and balsamic dressing, this salad offers a ton of mouth excitement, and who doesn’t want more beets in their diet? I’m on a beet kick, so get ready.
If you don’t have an OXO Good Grips Spiralizer, I can’t stress enough how much use you will get out of it once you see how easy it is. Just don’t cut your finger on the VERY sharp blades like I did. I was like is that beet juice or blood? Just kidding (!) it didn’t get on the food. But it can be dangerous using one of these kitchen toys, so I’m going to stress that you be careful using this. The beets are tough to spiralize, as are the sweet potatoes. So go slow! I usually reposition the vegetables a few times if they are dense. CAREFULLY! It’s also a good idea to clean this right away, after each use.
Kitchen toy in action! The Spiralizer shoots the beets out in long strings, so once you get them in the pan just cut them up with a kitchen knife so they are easier to eat. I used the orange blade for these, which offers a thicker spiral than the green blade. I don’t want my beets or sweet potatoes getting mushy.
Topped with fresh oregano sprigs and drizzled with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Aren’t they pretty?? I like to cook them in a Pyrex 9 x 13″ baking pan, and this one comes with a lid so it is easy to store in the fridge after cooking!
This is what the beets and sweet potatoes look like coming out of the oven. Take them out of the oven, toss them around, and put them back in as many times as you need to get them cooked to the consistency you like. Be careful not to overcook.
Steam the kale strips until they turn bright green. Add these to the beet and sweet potato mixture, still warm from the oven, and they will continue to cook a bit so don’t overcook these. Theme of the day…don’t overcook.
Warm Beet and Sweet Potato Salad
- March 2, 2021
- 30 min
- Print this
- 2 large beets
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 2 T olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 5 cups kale, cut into strips
- 4 T olive oil
- 3 T balsamic
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Step 2
- Spiralize the beets and sweet potatoes. Toss with 1 T olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place in 9 x 13 inch glass baking pan. Cut at random the longer pieces in the spirals so it is easier to eat. Add fresh oregano sprigs and bake for 20 minutes.
- Step 3
- Meanwhile prepare the dressing. Add all ingredients into a container with a lid and shake to mix.
- Step 4
- If the beet and sweet potatoes aren’t done after 20 minutes, keep cooking at 5 minute intervals until they are soft, but not mushy. When done, remove the oregano sprigs.
- Step 5
- Steam the kale in 1 T olive oil until bright green and wilted.
- Step 6
- Mix the cooked beets and sweet potatoes with the kale and top with dressing.
- Step 7
- Serve warm or cold, with dollops of goat cheese.
Song for the Prep: The Beat Goes On by Sonny and Cher
See what I did there. Puns are really lame in my opinion, but I couldn’t help myself. Just don’t meme me.
Michelle’s Beet Salad is as colorful as it is tasty! Add a dash of balsamic vinegar and you’ve got a nice balance of tangy, creamy and root vegetable earthy goodness! I’ll definitely be making this in the future!
Thanks for the feedback! There is balsamic in the dressing already, but you can never have too much right? So glad you liked it!